You are here
4-H Livestock Resources
Pictured: Amy Powell assisting two students
Livestock skillathons are a great way for youth to share their knowledge of animals and learn in an experiential learning environment. Skillathons can be done in teams or as individuals and there are a variety of topics that can be covered in a skillathon. Some of these (but not all) include anatomy and breeds of an animal, feed used in an animal diet, wholesale and retail cuts of meat derived from an animal, and production and management of animals. Livestock studied in skillathons includes swine, sheep, poultry and beef.
Skillathons are great for youth because they also provide opportunities for problem solving and applied science reasoning. They expose youth to real-life production experiences and problems.
Youth from 9 - 19 can participate and not only do they walk away learning, but they also have fun!
Dairy, Swine, Sheep and Goat Skillathons
@ Iowa State Fair
Friday, August 13 at 3:00 PM for Dairy Skillathon
Sunday, August 15 at
- 9:00 AM in the swine area for Swine Skillathon
- 1:00 PM in the sheep arena for Sheep Skillathon
Wednesday, August 18 at 12:30 PM in the swine show area for Goat Skillathon
Who: Any youth in 4th - 12th grade as of Janurary 1, 2021
What: Team skillathon
Teams consist of three individuals with one being at the advanced level (4 or more years of showing experience) and one with 3 or fewer years' experience. The remaining individual can have any experience level. All team members do not have to be from the same county. This event is for any youth, they do not have to show at State Fair or own livestock, and do not have to be enrolled in 4-H to compete. The team will work together through five stations to identify feed samples, meat cuts, equipment, and solve real-life situations related to swine, sheep, or goat production.
Awards: Everyone who enters will earn a skillathon t-short. Awards for the top five teams will be presented. Champion teams win a belt buckle!
2021 State Fair Skillathon Results
Study Materials: also available as Word .docx
- https://www.extension.iastate.edu/animalu/ (reproduction in the beef module)
Resources are available through CyBox:
- Beef Skillathon References
- Poultry Skillathon References
- Sheep Skillathon References
- Swine Skillathon References
- Additional Resources
State Fair Champions
- 2021 Iowa State Fair Champions Carcass Data
- 2020 Iowa State Fair Youth Champion Livestock
Iowa State Fair Champions Historical Document
Swine Care Videos
More like this
- Animal Science Department is hosting the 2021 State 4-H and FFA Meat and Livestock Evaluation Competitions and State Fair Carcass Viewing
- 2020 Iowa State 4-H and FFA Meat Judging Contest
- Iowa State Meat Lab Hosts the 2021 Iowa State 4H and FFA Meat Judging Contest
- Dr. Christopher Cassady
- Dr. Kenneth J Stalder