You are here
How to use Windows Remote Desktop
- The first thing you will need is the Cisco AnyConnect VPN to connect to ISU’s network. If you will be on campus, you can skip to Step 2. The VPN and install instructions can be found here.
- Next you will need Microsoft Remote Desktop 10, which can be found in the App Store or Microsoft Store as seen below. Look for the orange circle icon with facing arrows.
- Wait for the automated install to finish or follow the on-screen prompts to complete the install.
- Launch Microsoft Remote Desktop from your Applications folder, or Spotlight. The icon will look like this:
- You should now see the window below. Click on the grey Plus “+” button or the blue “Add PC” button to add a new remote computer connection.
- Fill out the fields shown below with the following:
- PC name: Computer name (KH number) or IP address
- User account: Ask when required. ISU network security does not permit saving login information.
- Friendly name: Any name that is easiest to remember
- Group: 'Saved PCs' is fine
- Gateway: No gateway
- The last three checkboxes are optional
- Click the blue "Add" button
- The Friendly Name should now show as a box in the main menu. Make sure you are connected to the VPN if off-campus, then double-click the name to connect.