You are here
Careers for Animal Science and Dairy Science Graduates
The Department of Animal Sciences offers two major programs - Animal Science and Dairy Science
Both of these majors also have the option to specialize in Pre-Veterinary Medicine. The information on this page describes some of the most common entry positions for graduates. The average starting salary for 2019-2020 graduates was $43,190. The 2019-2020 placement rate ranged from 97.9% to 100%.
Common Career Areas
Animal science can be applied to a wide variety of careers and industries. Find some of the many options listed below:
1. Animal production and general agribusiness: livestock herdsperson, horse unit manager, kennel manager, and more.
2. Agricultural sales and marketing: animal health salesperson, nutrition consultant, livestock product specialist, urban pet food distributor, animal/livestock marketer, feed/equipment/semen salesperson.
3. Agricultural business and finance: agricultural loan officer, small business management trainee, purchasing or merchandising agent for commodities (including international).
4. Animal promotion and information: commodity checkoff organizations, feature article writer, advertising and marketing, animal breed associations, export, and member services; USDA livestock reporting services; DHIA (dairy herd improvement association) supervisor.
5. Dairy food and meat science: APHIS (animal-plant health inspection service) quality insurance; pet food research or manufacturing quality control officer; livestock buyer for meat processor; meat and dairy processing quality control supervisor; new foods development technician; and foods processing facility management trainee.
6. Veterinary medicine careers require 4 years additional professional education. Careers include: private practice in small, large, or mixed animal practices; state and federal government inspection services, military, industry research and technical services.
7. Advanced degree and biotechnology: career market is determined by degree. Bachelor degree focused on biotechnology may lead to work in research laboratories at university, industry or government locations.
A wide variety of companies employ graduates with degrees in animal science. Below, we’ve listed some of the companies that have hired Iowa State animal science and/or dairy science graduates post-graduation.
- Bayer Crop Science
- Elanco Animal Health
- Walt Disney Company
- Purina Animal Nutrition
- Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium
- Cactus Family Farms
- Westwood Embryo Services
- Hy-line North America
- Sea World
To see more companies, view the Detailed Departmental First Destination Placement Information on the CALS Career Services website.