Health, Safety and Legal Issues

Public Safety/ISU Police

ANY situation that threatens physical safety (yours or others) warrants a call to the Department of Public Safety. Their NON-EMERGENCY phone number is (515) 294-4428. In case of emergency, call 911, this number will be routed through Des Moines so you will need to notify the dispatcher that you wish to contact ISU Police.

Legal Advice

For free legal advice and representation in a variety of areas, including landlord/tenant issues, family law, divorce, criminal law, consumer issues or any other legal issues, contact Student Legal Services. (515) 294-0978

Medical Health Issues

Any health-related issues should be referred to the Student Health Center. Their general number is (515) 294-5801. Health-related emergencies should go to the emergency room at Mary Greeley Medical Center. (515) 239-2011

Personal or Career Counseling

Student Counseling Service offers a wide variety of services. Nearly half of all college students report having been so depressed at some point during college that they could not function. For more information on common mental health issues facing college students today including: stress, anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, self-injury, relationship problems, physical, sexual, and verbal abuse histories, eating disorders, discrimination, and others, students participating in personal or career counseling at Student Counseling Services may be referred for clinical testing to aid in the counseling or career decision-making process. SCS also offers screening for substance abuse assessment. (515) 294-5056

Sexual Misconduct/Sexual Assault

If you or someone you know is a victim of sexual misconduct, sexual assault or rape, there are SEVERAL resources available.

Confidential Resources

ACCESS (Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support) (515) 29-ALERT or 292-0500

Provides victims with an ACCESS advocate who is trained to assist victims of sexual misconduct and can speak with students confidentially as they process through their experience and consider their options.

ISU Student Counseling Services (SCS) (515) 294-5056

Students can meet with a confidential mental health counselor.

Mary Greeley Medical Center (515) 239-2011

ISU Thielen Student Health Center (515) 294-5801

Students can meet with a confidential health care provider.

Campus Resources 

Dean of Students' Office (515) 294-1020

Staff can assist a student in filing formal complaints or, if the student does not want to file a formal complaint, the staff can work with the student to address concerns over housing, class assignments or schedules, leaves of absence, withdrawal or other academic concerns. The office staff can also assist the student in notifying ISU Police or local law enforcement, if the student so requests.

Margaret Sloss Women's Center (MSWC) (515) 294-4154

The MSWC provides support and information through educational outreach, appropriate referral services, and a safe space.

ISU Police Division (515) 294-4428

Contacting ISU Police does not mean a student must pursue criminal charges. ISU Police can advise students of their options, help preserve evidence while they consider options, and assist students in safety planning.

Community Resources

Ames Police Department (Non-Emergency: 515 239-5133) or (Emergency: 911)

Story County Sheriffs Office (515) 382-6566

Story County Attorneys Office (515) 382-7255

Victim Assistance Program (515) 382-7255